How to Revise Your Child Custody Agreement

There are many reasons why you may want to revise your child custody agreement that was originally agree upon during the divorce process. In some cases, you and your ex may agree to a change in child custody arrangements, and in other cases, you may need to fight your ex in court for revised custody with the help of a family law professional. With both situations, there is a due process that must be followed to alter the existing agreement established in a court of law. To learn more about child custody agreements, you may want to consult with the online resources from the Matrimonial Home website.

family-unit-blue-light-circle Hire a Family Law Expert to Represent You
If you want to revise your child custody agreement, the first step to take is to hire a family law expert. He or she can draft the paperwork that needs to be filed with the courts, and this professional will know the ideal wording to include in the document in hopes of swaying the judge in your favor. Keep in mind that not all family law experts have experience in this area of the law. Because of this, it is best to interview attorneys carefully to determine their experience level and to find a professional who you may be able to work well with on a regular basis until this matter is resolved.

family-unit-blue-light-circle Submit the Required Forms to the Court
Each state has a different petitioning process, but generally, the family lawyer will need to draft a petition or fill out a standardized form provided by the court to make the adjustment. The paperwork typically requires you to cite a specific reason why the request is being made. This may include everything from citing poor living conditions in the child’s present home to the custodial parent getting remarried and adding several new children to the household. These and other reasons may be accepted by the court as a reason to grant a change in the original and standing court order.

family-unit-blue-light-circle Wait for Your Hearing
Each state also has a different process for reviewing the required paperwork. Some will approve the petition or paperwork without a hearing, but in many cases, you and the other parent will be required to appear in court. In some instances, the child may also be required to appear in court. This is particularly true when deciding the living location for older children and teens who may be able to effectively communicate their preference for living conditions.

The revision of a child custody agreement may take several months or longer to approve, and there is a considerable process that must be walked through. Your family law professional can guide you through this process and work closely with you to help you achieve your goals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *